Michael Sapourn, CIC, CRM, Esq., Of Counsel
Bar Admissions and Education
When you have a problem with your insurance company or your agent, you need a knowledgeable Insurance Lawyer. Mr. Sapourn spent 23 years running a large, privately-held insurance brokerage in the Washington D.C. area. He moved to Florida in 2002, and is now an Agency Owner. “Prime-One Insurance Corp” serves Floridians with the highest level of experience and customer service.
Mr. Sapourn is hired by other attorneys for his Insurance expertise. He has been qualified as an expert in federal and state court in the areas of Bad Faith Insurance Claims practices, Insurance Agent’s Standard of Care and Insurance Policy Interpretation. His insider’s knowledge makes him a valuable ally to those who must litigate Insurance matters to obtain a Just result.
He also spent almost 10 years running the legal compliance departments for two Registered Investment Advisors (RIA). He knows the Standard of Care expected of Life and Annuity salespersons. If you believe you were sold an Annuity or Investment you didn’t understand, the salesperson may be responsible for reimbursement of your loss.
Mr. Sapourn brings his customer orientation as a businessperson to his law practice. He takes a personal interest in every client and moves his cases along with the same energy that he brought to his many business enterprises. Through his attention to case management, no case will “linger” in the legal process if Mr. Sapourn can help it.
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Economics (with High Distinction) from the University of Virginia
- Juris Doctorem (JD) from the Georgetown University Law Center
- Member, Florida Bar
- Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC). The Society of CIC (SCIC), through its various Institutes and seminars, has achieved national recognition as the standard for the education of agency employees and agency principals. Each CIC Institute requires the participant to attend twenty hours of classroom instruction where they teach the details of insurance coverage. CIC Institutes include Business and Personal Life Insurance Planning, Commercial Property, Commercial Casualty, Personal Lines Coverage and Agency Management. CIC Institutes generally focus on the underwriting process and agency management practices, with an emphasis on preventing agent errors and omissions. The CIC designation is awarded after five Institutes have been attended and a passing grade has been earned on each of the five Institute exams. Mr. Sapourn has maintained his CIC designation by attending annual updates in a broad variety of Insurance topics.
- Certified Risk Manager (CRM). The Society of CIC (SCIC) added this certification to its educational curriculum. Like the CIC designation, Each CRM Institute requires the participant to attend twenty hours of classroom instruction where the details of the risk management process are taught, with the focus on risk identification, risk analysis, risk control, the financing of risk and the administration of a risk control program. The CRM designation is granted after five Institutes have been attended and a passing grade has been earned on each of the five Institute exams. Mr. Sapourn has added this valuable certification to his credentials.
- From 1990 through 1998 Mr. Sapourn served as a director on the board of the Professional Insurance Agents Association (PIA), an organization of independent insurance agents whose mission is to help its members improve in all areas of the agency business. PIA sponsors educational programs in partnership with the SCIC and other insurance educational providers. See http://www.pianet.com/
Insurance Agency Experience:
- Sapourn began his career as a full-time independent insurance agent in 1978 with Paul J Sapourn Insurance Associates, Inc., a District of Columbia Corporation with offices located in Bethesda, Maryland. He has maintained his licenses in Property, Casualty, Life and Health Insurance in Maryland, and subsequently in Florida, since 1978. From 1978 until 1987 he served as Commercial Lines Manager of Paul J Sapourn Insurance Associates, Inc. (PJSInc). In 1987 he became President and CEO of PJSInc, a position held until September 1, 2001 when the agency was sold. Under Mr. Sapourn’s leadership, the agency won many awards from insurance companies, including some for good management practices. In twenty-three years as an agency principal, Mr. Sapourn has no knowledge of any litigation proceeding or legal complaint filed against PJSInc for Agent’s Errors and Omissions.
- He is currently the President of Prime-One Insurance Corp, in Indialantic, Florida.
Investment Adviser Experience:
Diamond Peak Capital, LLC
Chief Compliance Officer, 2009 – Present
Runs Business Operations and Compliance Department for SEC-Registered Investment Adviser and Commodity Trading Adviser registered with National Futures Association.
- Supervises and implements all SEC and NFA required regulatory registrations and compliance issues.
- Researches and implements the impact of Financial Regulation Law (FINREG) on Investment Advisers and Hedge Fund managers.
- Collaborates with attorneys, CPAs and auditors on every aspect of DPC's business.
Sapourn Financial Services, LLC, Bethesda, MD and Melbourne, FL
Chief Executive Officer, 1997 - 2004
Ran Business Operations and Compliance Department for SEC-Registered Investment Adviser.
- Directed and supervised all aspects of business operations.
- Supervised and implemented SEC registration and compliance issues to ensure the integrity of three domestic and one off-shore hedge fund.
- Performed due diligence research on potential managers and investment strategies.
- Navigated company through two SEC audits.
NASD Licenses Held:
- NASD Series 3
- NASD Series 6
- NASD Series 63
- NASD Series 65
Insurance Licenses Held:
- General Lines Property and Casualty Agents License (Maryland, and Florida 220)
- Life, Health and Annuity (Maryland)
- Resident Florida Licenses Currently Held:
Life and Health Agent; Florida General Lines Agent (2-20).
Expert Witness Experience:
- Sapourn has been qualified as an expert in federal and various state courts.